Print Print    Close Close

Former CIA official: 'Absolutely necessary to talk about' taking preventative action amid Iran tensions

By Charles Creitz

Published May 14, 2019

Fox News
President Trump calls report that the White House reviewed plans to send 120,000 troops to Mideast 'fake news' Video

Former CIA station chief Daniel Hoffman reacted to a New York Times report that President Trump reviewed a military plan that would send as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East in the case an attack by Iran on American forces.

Speaking later to reporters, Trump reacted to the report by calling it "fake news."

"Would I do that? Absolutely. But, we have not planned for that," Trump added.

But Hoffman, also a Fox News contributor, said on "Outnumbered Overtime" that it is "absolutely necessary" to talk about such a situation.

IRANIAN PRESIDENTIAL AIDE SAYS TRUMP WILL 'GET A WAR' FOR LISTENING TO 'THE MUSTACHE' JOHN BOLTON

"The one thing can I tell with you about my work with the Department of Defense is that they plan for all sorts of scenarios. When things go sideways they need to be able to take that plan off the shelf and present it to policymakers for executive action," Hoffman said.

Bret Baier on Trump administration's message to Iran, Pompeo's diplomatic mission to Moscow Video

Hoffman said that Iran has "stepped up their threats to us - kinetic threats in the region and other threats as well."

He said it is important to "deter" the Iranian regime from taking threatening actions: "It's a clear message to the Iranians."

CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Hoffman continued to claim that there is "discontent" among the Iranian people over their "free-falling economy" and that the country's leadership wants to make the United States the "scapegoat" for that situation.

He also credited Trump's "clear measure of deterrence" toward Iran when the administration ordered the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group to the Middle East last week "to send a clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime," - in the words of National Security Adviser John Bolton.

Print Print    Close Close

URL

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/daniel-hoffman-cia-trump-iran-threats

  • Home
  • Video
  • Politics
  • U.S.
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Sports
  • Weather
  • Privacy
  • Terms

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG. Do Not Sell my Personal Information - New Terms of Use - FAQ